The Ocho & KFC
Anchor collaborates with ESPN CreativeWorks, the network’s in-house creative studio, from initial brief to execution, leading creative and production to tell stories that deliver on advertisers’ brand and business objectives. Recent collaboration projects include, Kraft Heinz, Dish Network, Hotels.com, NAPA Auto Parts, Dairy Queen, and most recently, KFC.
ESPN made waves on social media in 2017 when they brought “The Ocho” — a fake sports channel featuring obscure sports from the fan-favorite movie “Dodgeball” — to the real world for one day. For year two, how could ESPN and brand partner KFC raise the bar?
- Develop a BIG IDEA and social media strategy to activate “The Ocho” stunt
- Leverage ESPN talent and KFC’s social media might to amplify impact
- Create and produce a massive content package for linear and digital channels
- Own the day on August 8, 2018
- Utilized CubeYou (consumer insights) and Crimson Hexagon (social listening) to do a deep dive on ESPN and KFC fans, finding shared affinities in sports like skateboarding, boxing and cross-training.
- KFC’s audience skewed younger, so Snapchat and Instagram Stories were elevated to priority platforms.
- Make the iconic KFC bucket the star of the show… branding every moment with an endlessly funny brand asset.
- Week-long social media content strategy to build pre-launch buzz, event-day impact, and long-tail resonance.
- Program all key ESPN and KFC channels for true “takeover” coverage across TV, Social and Display.
Always On Content
- 7.7MM Social Impressions
- 2.5MM Digital Impressions
- 112% Over-Delivery
- ESPN’s best performing Instagram Story EVER, with 3.3M impressions. Opening slide garnered over 1.3M impressions, 160% above typical ESPN Instagram Story.
- All Sport Rotational delivered a 88% VCR and LiveStreaming delivered a 99% VCR. Twitter received +480K impressions and +80K video views.
- Snapchat delivered 3.3M impressions with 90% of that being M13-34.